Skip to content
P11D Expenses And Benefits

If you have paid taxable expenses on behalf of or provided benefits to an employee or director between 6 April 21 and 5 April 22, you may need to report these to HMRC by 6 July

At the end of each tax year, you’ll usually need to submit a P11D form to Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for each employee you’ve provided with expenses or benefits.

You’ll also need to submit a P11D(b) form if:

  • you’ve submitted any P11D forms
  • you’ve paid employees’ expenses or benefits through your payroll
  • HMRC have asked you to – either by sending you a form or an email

Your P11D(b) tells HMRC how much Class 1A National Insurance you need to pay on all the expenses and benefits you’ve provided. Class 1a NIC is 13.8% of the value of the taxable benefit.

If HMRC have asked you to submit a P11D(b) but you do not need to submit one, you can tell them you do not owe Class 1A National Insurance by completing a declaration. Please remember to do this before 6 July.

If HMRC have requested a P11D(b) and you would like us to submit a NIL return on your behalf please let us know by 20 May 2022 by contacting us, sending us a copy of the request received from HMRC and confirming it is a Nil return you wish us to submit.

What do you need to report?

Where the business incurs costs or provides assets for the private use of an employee or director these normally result in a Benefit in Kind charge and need to be reported.

For full details of the type of taxable benefits and expenses please see our website

Please check the list carefully to ensure you have considered all possibilities as there are penalties if you omit items from the form. Even though we may do your bookkeeping or prepare your accounts we will not automatically know whether you have made benefits in kind during the year.

After checking the lists, if you believe you need to complete and submit a P11D and would like us to do this for you please tell us by 20 May at the latest together with supplying details of the benefits and the related employee or director.

Please note, that we do not have an automatic engagement in place to complete these forms and you need to ask us each year these are needed.

What if you don’t have a PAYE scheme?

If you need to submit a P11D and don’t have a PAYE scheme you will need to register as an employer as soon as possible as without a scheme you cannot submit a P11D and there are penalties for this being late. Please contact us for assistance as soon as possible.

Back To Top