Skip to content
Act Now Words On Blackboard With Clock As Paper Forms To Register For VAT Are Removed

Are you one of the 5% of new or existing businesses planning to register for VAT using the current paper VAT1 form? If yes, you need to be aware that from next month, the paper VAT 1 form will no longer be available to download from the GOV.UK website.

From November 2023 any business wanting to register for VAT by post will have to contact the VAT helpline

The VAT1 form will only be available to customers through the VAT helpline from mid-November 2023 and these businesses will need to answer why they cannot use the online service. Some businesses are exempt from Making Tax Digital for VAT such as those that are:

  • already exempt from filing VAT Returns online
  • subject to an insolvency procedure

You may also be able to apply for an exemption from using the online service if it is ‘not reasonable or practical for you to use computers, software or the internet to follow the rules for Making Tax Digital for VAT’ as defined by HMRC.

As over 95% of businesses already apply for VAT registration online, this shouldn’t prove too much of an issue but the remaining sub 5% may need help. As mentioned, these businesses can either call the VAT helpline or use an agent to deal with this for them such as Maynard Johns Chartered Accountants.

If it is a case your business hasn’t moved over to the online VAT registration service as yet, visit the HMRC’s Register for VAT section on their website and get set up now with your Government Gateway user ID and password (you can create these if you are signing in for the first time).

If you need any further information, help or support to register for VAT, get in contact with us at Maynard Johns on 01237 472071 now.

Back To Top